Reporting to the VP of Medical and Scientific Affairs, the Global & US Head HEOR, and with a dotted line to the Head of GPMA this individual will be responsible for setting the US & Global HEOR strategy and for the successful execution of HEOR projects and deliverables through partnership with the following functional areas: the Commercial organization, the Managed Care Health Outcomes Directors Team, Scientific Communications, the Clinical Development organization and external vendors as appropriate.
The Global & US Head HEOR will act as subject matter expert for Epidemiology, Health Economics and Outcomes Research and Observational Research in brand planning and life cycle planning initiatives within the company.
As the Global & US Head HEOR, the individual will build, lead and manage a team of Managed Care Health Outcomes Directors (HODs) in the US to support the company portfolio throughout the product life cycle, as well as the global virtual HEOR team. This will require the individual to interact with the other GBT functions globally.
They will be responsible for establishing the US field HOD strategies and tactics and ensure alignment with field Market Access leaders of National and Regional key payer-related accounts, including Integrated Delivery Networks (IDNs) and Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs) to optimize access and reimbursement as well as life cycle management.
The individual will coach and mentor US HODs to create a high performing team and build a strong and trusting medical “partner of choice” approach to meet needs of external customers. They will also help to build the department-wide field processes, policies and procedures and other infrastructure to support the team.
The Global & US Head HEOR will also have dotted line to the Head of GPMA and will assume Global HEOR virtual team lead responsibilities, which will involve direct support and leadership to GBT functional colleagues. The role holder will be part of the GPMA leadership team.
As the Global & US Head HEOR, the individual will build, lead and manage a virtual team of Global HEOR leads to support the company portfolio throughout the product life cycle. This will require the individual to interact with the other GBT functions globally.
Global responsibilities will include:
- Development and execution of evidence leveraging Vifor’s disease area expertise, supporting Market Access strategies, engaging decision-makers, influencers, and stakeholders, in order to have the appropriate data (clinical, QoL, economic, societal) to support patient access.
- The role will represent Vifor internally and externally as a trusted partner and credible advisor. Lead the development of HEOR evidence that supports business strategies and market access efforts for the portfolio brands’ needs.
HEOR Strategy and Team Leadership
- Develop, oversee, and coordinate medical strategy and tactics of the US HEOR team across the company’s pipeline and products
- Build, lead, coach, and mentor the US Field HOD team, focused on National and Regional payer-related accounts, including IDNs and ACOs
- Develop the HEOR strategy for global brand and support the Global team.
- Oversee the development plans of each Field HOD team member to drive performance, foster continuous learning opportunities, and retain talent
- Support budget planning and management
- Be accountable for compliant business practices
- Design, implement, and manage outcomes research projects including but not limited to retrospective database analyses, economic models, AMCP dossiers, real world evidence, and chart reviews
- Collaborate with external customers (e.g., payers, IDNs, ACOs) and academics in the development and implementation of health outcomes educational programs or collaborative research initiatives
- Disseminate health outcomes research findings at scientific congresses and manuscript publications in peer-reviewed journals
Cross-functional Collaboration at both US and Global levels
- Train Managed Markets, Medical Affairs and other teams on clinical and health outcomes resources (economic models, slide sets, etc.)
- Provide HEOR expertise to the Commercial Team to assist in the development and execution of compliant commercial activities
- Provide expert input to life cycle planning, including the design of corporate sponsored trials and other trials with HEOR endpoints
- Partner and align with multi-disciplinary customer facing strategy teams, including Market Access Account Management, MSDs, Medical, Marketing, and Field Sales, in compliance with corporate policy
- Develops an effective Global HEOR team to design and execute strategies that demonstrate product value and support Market Access
- Works directly with other Market Access teams to meet the needs of patients, payers and policy makers
- Manages the coordination and collaboration of global, regional (if applicable) and country health economic teams to understand country-specific HEOR needs and opportunities and the respective activities
- Oversees that HEOR advises Medical Affairs and Clinical teams in the design of health outcomes/interventional and observational trials with health economic and Patient Reported Outcomes (PRO) endpoints in alignment with therapy and product value propositions for optimal impact on access decision-makers, influencers, and stakeholders
- Leads the development and coordination of company wide health economic tools that are part of the “core value tools” including BIM, CEM & GVD
- Establishes proactive listening systems to monitor the implications of systemic changes in evidence requirements, determine implications, and proposes necessary changes to ensure positive impact of Vifor’s evidence strategies across TAs
- Performs all Vifor business in accordance with appropriate regulations and industry guidelines
The knowledge and skills necessary to perform the duties of this position are typically acquired through the following combination of education, experience, and knowledge, or the equivalent:
- 20 years minimum experience (in industry and respective area of expertise), or equivalent.
- MD/PharmD/PhD or equivalent, an advanced degree in epidemiology, or other allied medical degree required
- Established track record of developing, managing and leading high performing teams; a minimum of 2 years of managing direct reports
- Familiarity with GCP/ICH/FDA/OPDP (formerly DDMAC) requirements as well as clinical trial design, biostatistics, product safety, and regulatory affairs preferred
- Ability to travel 20%
- Prior Experience in Nephrology or Cardiology is preferred (Experience in academia, clinical, or industry setting).
As a federal contractor, Vifor Pharma, Inc. is required to comply with Executive Order 14042, which requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 absent a bona fide medical reason, a genuine religious belief, on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements. All employees must be in compliance with Vifor Pharma, Inc.’s COVID-19 vaccine policy at the commencement of their employment.