The Executive Director, Medical Science Team leads and directs the Senior Medical Science Directors, East team as well as the West Science Directors team. Senior MSD manages MSDs and helps develop and execute the Medical Affairs strategy for the MSD Team. As a strategic partner with Commercial, Clinical Research R&D, and Legal/Regulatory Affairs, the Executive Director, MST will help develop and maintain contacts with Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs) and professional associations to educate the healthcare community.
Oversee East and West Medical Science Teams
- Serve as member of the Medical Leadership Team and the Global Medical Director Team.
- Develop and maintain on-boarding training and mentorship to Medical Science Directors.
- Work closely with the Executive Director, MST on activities related to performance review and planning and implementation of Individual Development Plans (IDPs) for the MSDs.
- Develop KOL engagement plans.
Serve as Strategic Partner to Other Company Divisions
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive understanding of scientific/clinical data related to disease states, therapeutic areas and products, and transfer appropriate clinical/scientific information to internal company personnel and external customers for business-related or educational purposes.
- Ensure efficient information exchange between MSD colleagues in the field and office-based clinical, medical affairs, and drug safety team members, so that key clinical, safety, and research issues are identified and communicated to and from industry leaders and the appropriate internal departments to help shape company research, development, and strategies for investigational and commercialized products.
Educate Industry Leaders
- Contribute to the development of medical and scientific initiatives within a matrix environment and provide support in the development of medical, research, and commercial strategy by participating in and leading one or more cross-functional committees/teams, such as:
• Support marketing as a medical resource such as evaluating tools for medical accuracy and completeness and supporting execution of Advisory Boards and Speaker Training.
• Serve as a medical resource in technologies utilized by the company (e.g., Veeva).
• Involvement with KOLs in exchange of scientific and medical information, including Advisory Boards and presentations at national meetings.
• Support Medical Congress planning and coverage of meetings. Provide guidance to the MSD team with assigning of relevant scientific symposiums and professional meetings and preparation of an executive summary and final meeting summary, as necessary.
• Work closely with the Medical Science Director team, develop and manage a KOL network to support the successful execution of Medical Affairs tactics.
• Develop KOL engagement plans with the Medical Science Directors team.
• Provide support to the company’s clinical team, medical monitors, and CRAs to coordinate and optimize educational and research support for sites/investigators participating in the company’s clinical trials, as needed.
• Provide support or lead the development and execution of medical strategies to identify key experts, investigators, and institutions strategic to research and development efforts.
• Partner with Field Sales Leadership to align on Field activities while maintaining compliant separation between Sales and Commercial.
The knowledge and skills necessary to perform the duties of this position are typically acquired through the following combination of education, experience, and knowledge, or the equivalent:
- MD, PharmD, PhD, or other allied medical degree preferred.
- 10 years of field Medical Affairs experience, or equivalent experience.
- Previous experience as an MSD.
- Knowledge and experience in the field of nephrology and/or cardiovascular medicine preferred.
As a federal contractor, Vifor Pharma, Inc. is required to comply with Executive Order 14042, which requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 absent a bona fide medical reason, a genuine religious belief, on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements. All employees must be in compliance with Vifor Pharma, Inc.’s COVID-19 vaccine policy at the commencement of their employment.